Tuesday, December 10, 2013

How I found my fifth job in Canada or Declan Bird my recent hero

Usually most of immigrated bloggers write down how they managed to find their first job in Canada as I did before. However, now I am going to write down about my fifth job hunting in Canada)). One of guys moved to Calgary from Azerbaijan told me that I am hero as I managed to find 4 jobs in Canada when he was not able to find one. But last two years I was struggling to find a permanent position. For junior position I was overqualified and for senior positions my Canadian experience was not enough. Meanwhile I was not unemployed for long term. In summary I was unemployed in Canada only 3,5 months. And first month I decided to take a break after Ernst and Young. So actually I was 2.5 months unemployed, which is very good for a newcomer. During 2 years in Canada I changed 4 jobs, 3 of them were temporary and one permanent position which ended with being laid off. 

My last employer was Servus Credit Union which caused me to move back to Edmonton. My contract with them was until end of November 2013. They informed me in advance that they are not going to hire me permanently as I am overqualified for Senior Budget Analyst position they are going to open. So, I started looking for a job in early September. From my past experience I was aware that submitting my resume directly to companies is useless if you were not referred by a powerful "uncle". As I do not have such uncle here in Canada I decided to work with recruiters. Actually, I was employed through a recruiter, David Aplin at that time. It was my second assignment through them. In addition to David Aplin I met with several powerful recruiters in Edmonton market. All of them were highly interested in my profile. However, as David Aplin knows me better than others I was expecting them to arrange my next employment. At the end I was sure that I made a right decision by relying on them. Actually Doug Bristow, National Practice Leader assured me that he will not let me to be unemployed, at least he may arrange for me a temporary position. But most interesting discussions I had with Declan Bird, Senior Consultant. He actually arranged for me an interview with an oil & gas company in Nisku, AB. The interview process was so long... I had three phone interviews and two face-to-face interviews. But I had very positive feelings. Finally this company, which is Ironline Compression (formerly Exterran) offered me Manager, Financial Planing and Analysis position at their Nisku, AB office. And I accepted the offer. As I live in south part of Edmonton it takes for me 22 km or 25 minutes to drive to the office, which is acceptable. It is a reorganizing company which makes it extremely interesting for me.

If you are interested in David Aplin or would like to know Declan Bird, below is his video from youtube. I will highly recommend him as a recruiter to any company. In accordance with feedback I got from my new boss candidates provided by Declan were most professional ones. For myself I am pretty confident that if I need someone to hire I definitely first call to David Aplin!



2 comments: