Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Balaban music or hunger for native music

Last days whole day I am listening Alihan Samedov, a balaban player. Balaban is double-reed wind instrument about 35 cm long with seven finger holes and one thumb hole. It look like as following:

Balaban
It is very cultural and very native for me. I grew up listening such music and actually I miss it now. To be honest when I was in Azerbaijan my national music was never such important for me. It was just usual. I used to hear it in TV, radio, restaurants, and almost everywhere .. But after the immigration I started feeling some kind of emptiness, hunger for my national music. Now mugham, balaban has an importance in my life. I do not believe that I can live without them. Mugham is one of the folk musical composition mainly sang in Azerbaijan and not only. My most favorite mugham singer is Mansum Ibrahimov. He also plays Majnun in "Leyli and Majnun" opera of Uzeyir Hajibeyov. This opera was unique for its time by combining Western and Eastern cultures.

Alihan Samedov has his personal website where you can listen him. Just click on the music section in the website. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment