Thursday, September 6, 2012

How I purchased my second car in Canada or fighting against Toyota dealership in Calgary

As you already understood I purchased a new car. My first car in Canada was Nissan Xterra of 2002. I bought it from a young Canadian family in Edmonton. It was lady driven and therefore mechanically was OK. However, as usually it happens with lady's cars interior of it was awful. I spend lots of hours to clean it out. Nissan Xterra is very reliable and strong car. For Canadian winters and off-road it is awesome. But it is not comfortable to drive long distance in highway. It also drinks too much gas. Summer times usual fuel consumption is 14-15 liters per 100km and in winter it rises almost to 20... So, my gas expenses was never down from $300. Additionally, taking into account "old ages" of the car, it started requesting more spending on mechanical side. It never left me half way, but last months I was unsure on reliability of it and was spending at least $100 to maintain it. Therefore, finally as a usual accountant I decided to renew my car. 

Choosing a producer

Most of car producers started promotional actions from August'12 to clear out 2012 models. I reviewed almost all car producers' websites and compared their prices, promotions and other factors. I stopped on Toyota as their offers was more attractive. Toyota provides 0% financing and 0.9% leasing options. Additional factor was reliability of Toyota. I used to think that Toyota always has issues with its cars and therefore recalls them very often. However, after moving to Canada I noticed that Toyota is the most reliable car here... Therefore, I applied online to test drive Toyota's Venza and RAV4 of 2012. Then I have been contacted by salesperson of Toyota and invited for the test drives. After driving both cars I was sure in my choice, it was Toyota Venza AWD 2012. 

Financing or Leasing

One more thing I was considering was purchasing or leasing a car. Lease is very famous here in Canada, but cultural point was not letting me to pay for a car which I do not own. Mostly there is no difference between financing and leasing. But when you lease a car your monthly payment are less than when financing. After long thinking I finally won cultural ideology in my brain and decided that it will be more financially convenient for me to lease a car.  

Fighting against Toyota dealership

After making my choice regarding car and purchasing options I visited Toyota dealership closest to us again. I have been requested to provide my latest pay slip, copy of my driving license and copy of my SIN. Afterward a sales person filled out an application for leasing. I decided to lease basic model of Toyota Venza AWD 2012 and added a leather seating package on it. As a promotional action I have been provided with lifetime oil and filter change, flour mats, cargo liner and remote starter. 

The next step was waiting for approval of my application. And after couple of days they called me and said that my application was approved and I need to pay a deposit for the car. 

Trick #1
When I was paying a deposit I have been told that I need to provide a co-signer for the agreement. And co-signer can be my wife. After paying the deposit Financial Services Manager of the dealership, Charles Enns told me that my co-signer should be a person who lived in Canada more than three years. I caught the trick but it was late, I already paid the deposit. Therefore, I decided to keep silence and look for a co-signer. Thanks to my old friend Ali who agreed to apply as a co-signer for my application. 

Trick #2
After me and Ali signed the application allowing Toyota to run a credit check for us the same manager Charles Enns called to Ali. He called him and asked him to be reflected as a primary applicant on the application. Ali rejected his offer and thanks to him for it. I was not aware of this call at all. When I called to Ali to ask about application he friendly informed me about the call. It drove me crazy. It was next unethical action from Toyota side. I called to the dealership and requested a meeting with supervisor of Charles. After long discussion with the Senior Finance Manager, they apologized and offered me cover with protection bottom of the car for free. I accepted the offer and decided to continue the documentation process with my primary application.

Trick #3
After couple of days Charles sent me an e-mail where indicated that my application was finally approved and in his e-mail provided information for insurance of the car. Meanwhile they will deal with the installation of the all options we agreed. When I called to insurance company to transfer my old car's insurance to the new car I was informed that financial institution, RBC (which name I have been provided) does not provide leasing of cars and most probably it is financing of the car. However, I did the insurance and left my Nissan Xterra without insurance. I decided that lady from the insurance has no enough experience as I applied for a leasing. However, when I called to Charles he notified that actually they are going to sign a financing agreement with me. I decided to discuss this issue face-to-face with him and visited the dealership after my working hours. I was not able to drive my car and thanks to Adil who provided me his car for a day. When I came to the dealership I informed them that I am going to request return of my deposit and cancellation of the agreement as without my consent Charles applied for a financing to RBC. He did it on my behalf. Taking into account that we already discussed the situation over the phone he decided to apply for a leasing to Toyota Financing before our meeting. The result was approval of leasing application with $3,000 down payment. It was third and fourth unethical action from his side. He did all this application without my approval. However, he rudely insisted that all his actions are correct, he did not any fault and that is the way how the dealership works... But he avoided to respond my question "Does Toyota knows what you are doing to customers here?". It drove me more crazy and I decided to continue my discussion with the store manager, Dan. I insisted in returning my deposit and cancellation of the transaction. However, the manager apologized for the Charles's actions and made me very attractive offer. We agreed on details and here we gooo... I drive a new Toyota Venza.... It uses maximum 10 liters per 100km ;))) Now I am looking to sell my Nissan Xterra 2002. Here is some pictures of my new car:







P.S. If you decide to purchase a car from South Point Toyota dealership I will strongly advice you to avoid meeting with Charles Enns, Financial Services Manager there. He is most incompetent service person I have ever seen!!! Better contact to Ryan Boydell, another finance manager who is professional of his job. All other guys there are also really very pleasant. Exceptional thanks to Mike Nguyen who helped me in my choice.

15 comments:

  1. My best congratulation! Wish you that all that problems were last problem with this car!

    Consider this like great experience and learning!

    I see that you was the first in our parking lot this day! Great! It's speed car! :)

    BTW
    My car eats only 5 liters per 100 km with nonworking engine going from hill. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Sure I got experience how to deal with the car dealers. But they also got an experience how Turkish guys trade.:))))
      As regards your car, it is monster!

      Delete
  2. Поздравляю! :) Машина очень красивая!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! Good choice.
    My dad owns Venza. He took a trip from Toronto to Calgary last spring and said it was the best car he has ever driven. :)
    Then a couple months ago, I borrowed his Venza for a trip from Calgary to Vancouver island and I was impressed too. My wife and I even slept in the car on one of the campings on the island, and it was pretty comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. For sure it's very comfortable car. At least better than Xterra:))))

      Delete
  4. Congratularions Dayanat. Nice car and very good choice. I have heard only positive feedbacks on Toyota. Can sagligi ile sur. Btw derslerini yaxsi vermisen onlarin. I also changed my car to Mercedes

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is why it is good to research not only on the cars you like, but also on the reputation of the car dealer from which you are planning to buy the car. In any case, I think the Toyata Venza is an excellent choice. What I like about it is that, even though it’s a mid-sized car, it is also a two-row, five passenger vehicle. This means there’s more room for passengers and cargo, and that translates to more comfortable road trips!




    @Ivo Beutler

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Completely agree with you! I do research before buying something. But in this case the dealership was opened recently. And there was no too much information about them...

      Delete
    2. By the way thanks for reading me!

      Delete
  6. Luckily, you were so patient and that you got your car. I would have given up when they gave the third time around or asked for a more competent agent or to talk to the manager. At least you got a very good offer as compensation. I think doing research is asking the dealer all sorts of questions regarding the car. This actually goes both ways. This shows the dealer how interested you are in the car or with the prospect of purchasing one, and in turn, this will help you to decide if you really want to get it or not.

    Stelle Courney

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As friend of mine said they missed my occupation. I am an accountant. And I am patient and fluent with numbers...))

      Delete
  7. I agree with Ivo here. Cars are considered as a big investment in life, so it is important to think it over again and again. That way, you won’t regret the decision of buying the car in the future. And researching about the car and the dealership is always part of the decision to buy a car because it would give you an idea of which one is the best choice for you.


    @Delsie Maidens

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with you! My next post is gonna be about mortgage brokers.... The same situation!

      Delete