Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Cooking quails in BBQ or Azerbaijani delicious bildirchin kabab

Today I would like to write down about a specific food we used to cook/grill in Azerbaijan. As you may be aware Azerbaijan is very famous with its cuisine, especially kababs. Kabab is not our national food, it is very popular in all countries of Caucasus and Middle East, but each nation has it is own tastes which affected kababs too. One of the famous kababs in Azerbaijan is bildirchin kabab. Bildirchin is translation of quail into Azerbaijani Turkish. To be honest I was surprised when I first saw quails in Super Store. Then Rovshan cooked my first bildirchin kabab in Canada. It has very tasty meat and it is very good food to have along with beer. So, at that time almost 10 quails was successfully eaten with lots of beer. 

After moving to Calgary I decided to grill these birds myself. You can easily find quails in Super Store where they sell poultry. Each package contains 6 frozen quails. In order to cook it you need to unfreeze them, add salt and pepper and keep some time in fridge for being marinated. You may BBQ it after salting and peppering, but I usually like keeping meat/poultry before grilling couple hours at least. Then they should be grilled in BBQ until they are ready. I prefer charcoal BBQ as it is very close to our cuisine. In pictures they look like followings:

Drying after unfreezing
Getting bronze

Some mushrooms for the taste
Grilling every part of them


And BON APPETITE!

10 comments:

  1. мммм, какая красота :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. а какой у них вкус был...

      Delete
    2. не сомневаюсь :) экологически чистый продукт :)))))

      Delete
  2. Oh yeah, you guys know how to cook!
    My close friend from back home is Azerbaijanian, I remember his shashlyk (believe here it would be called big souvlaki :)), he taught me a couple of secrets too.
    As well, you guys have that salad which you make from grilled peeled vegetables like bell-pepper, eggplants, tomatoes, it's sooo good )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This salad is the best. Thanks for reminding, will prepare it next week-end.:)))

      Delete
    2. да да, это на самом деле одно из самых вкусных и ,главное, полезных блюд - мангал салат! :) Между прочим овощи можно и в духовке запекать (если нет возможности приготовить на мангале) - тоже получается вкусно.

      Delete
    3. We have manqal! I mean something that looks like mangal. It is called charcoal BBQ...))))

      Delete
    4. well, when you need some more people to sample your BBQ skills, let me know. I never say "no" to Azerbaijanian shashlyk :)

      Delete
  3. So today I cooked kabab and manqal salad. My guests were delighted...

    ReplyDelete