Sunday, November 20, 2011

First three weeks in Canada

Looks like its a time to write down what we faced, we loved, we hated in this county. It is a time of reporting for first three weeks. Beforehand I wanna note that first week I was not able to understand the reality. I mean I was not able to recognize that I did it. It was unbelievable for me...

So, let's start. For sake of clarity I have added dates before the actions:
October 27th
We arrived to Edmonton, AB at 18:00. Passed all immigration and customs procedures smoothly. My friend Farhad and his sister's husband Toghrul picked us up from Edmonton International Airport. First of all we visited Farhad's home. He fed us and took us to our new apartment which is going to be our home for next year. Unpacked some of our belongings and we went to bed. By the way before our arrival Farhad purchased for us most of furniture.
Some photos of our neighborhood:

October 28th
It was not so easy to sleep all night as our bodies were living by its' natural hours. Kids waked up at 3 am and we do the same. Early in the morning Farhad drove us to Canada Services we applied for SIN (Social Insurance Number), we applied for health insurance and then opened a bank account at RBC. We had our lunch at Farhad and went back to our home after lunch close to 3-4 pm. Kids fall asleep immediately. We were trying to keep us awake until sunset. In the evening Farhad and me visited Future Shop and purchased TV LG LED 42" which is also smart TV. What does it means? We are able to connect our TV to internet through Wi-Fi and watch youtube (not only) on it.

October 29th
Spend most of the day in the shops. Purchased food, TV stand, vacuum, iron, ironing board, floor lamp, 134 pc toolkit, 2 rugs, sofa and loveseat. The latter were purchased after 2 days.

October 30&31th
Nothing serious was done. Tried to match our natural hours to Canadian one. Visited some shops around our neighborhood.

November 01st
Visited Northtown Registry for a driving license. Failed first knowledge exam.

November 02nd-09th
This period was full of small purchases. Most of them are small home appliances and food. By the way I was looking for a car in kijiji. Met with recruiters from Aplin Recruiting with referral of Farhad. And next day visited "Big Four" and distributed my CV to them. By the way the recruiters were impressed by me behavior, English and speaking. I learned about it after seeing their e-mail sent to Farhad. So, thanks to E&Y for some of this skills.
Last days found a car from kijiji. It was Nissan Murano of 2003.

November 10th
Passed from knowledge test and got 7 class driving license. Made an appointment for a road test. Visited owner of the Nissan Murano with Rovshan. Was disappointed when we noticed oil liquidity from engine.

November 11-13
Was busy with the car search. Nothing serious happened.

November 14th
Failed the road test. Drove Farhad's father's car during the exam. It was really strange. The examiner was an Indian man. His name Alex. Remember his name and do not appoint an exam with him. He was quite and easy going during our trip. However, at the end he failed me and put me too much points. I disagreed with most of them and was disappointed. But when I left the registry everything was clear for me. Me and Farhad's father were discussing the results in front of the registry and another Indian man asked us to show him the results. Then he said that, he is a licensed driving trainer and offered me to train me. So, it was clear that there is an Indian business between them. One fails and the other trains... I rejected his offer and made an appointment for the next road test. At this time Farhad's father advised me to take Jim as examiner. Remeber his name too. He is honest and very good examiner.
At this day I have also found very good car, Toyota Highlander. Visited the owner, took a drive test, liked the car and agreed to take the to a mechanic next day. However, when I left them, at the bus stop received a message from the owner, saying that the car is already sold.

November 15th
Was looking for a car. Decided visit dealership. Was nothing suitable for me. However, one of the sales persons provided a phone number of his brother who can help me. Agreed to meet with him next day. Evening found a Nissan Xterra of 2002 from kijiji. Agreed to meet with them next day.

November 16th
Visited other dealership as agreed. Again, was nothing suitable for me. However, they provided me with Nissan Versa (Tiida in Azerbaijan) to drive until they find something for me. Tiida, the car that I used to drive in Azerbaijan. Was so happy for driving Tiida again. Using Tiida visited the Xterra as agreed. Took a drive test and purchased it.

November 17th 
It was heavily snowing. Took a driving a test at Farhad's father's car with Jim. Passed it. At the same day purchased an insurance for the new car and registered it. My car's plate is BFM6912.
This is my new SUV:

So, looks like that is all. After three weeks in Canada I have an accommodation, all required documents, a bank account, a driving license and a car here. Yeah, it is cold here. And first days without car was difficult for me. I was really suffering. Edmonton is not walking friendly city. And without a car you are nothing... Just imagine you need to walk to nearest shop for 2 km in -22. Awful..

However, I like local lifestyle.

P.S. Great thanks to Farhad, his family and Rovshan for their sipport!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment